måndag 27 augusti 2007

The trouble with tanking

//This was a post I made on Kaliope's crafting blog. Realizing that I have not made any on my own made me post it here too :)

My original char was a paladin who wanted to tank. But I found the class severly lacking. Not to mention that pre TBC you could only tank undead instances. After the 2.0 we had a good space for pally tanking since Scholo and Strat undead sport mostly undeads. But after TBC i made myself a Dranei warrior, Whyrm on Ravenholdt, and I havent regretted it once.

Tanking was always my prime goal. And even if I leveled as fury I respecced at once when I hit 68-ish.

I felt the dps drop severly - but not nearly as much as I would have expected. The +10% dmg talent on 1h-ers make up for some loss from other abilities.

I still go through ordinary 70 mobs like a knife through butter, not a red hot one though - more lilke a luke warm one.

BUT the great up-side with tanking is not about damage. It is about standing there in-front of a huge boss blocking, parrying and dodging. We dont kick ‘em in the teeth - we hold them in their nose hair. Its painfull but not really hurting.

One other upside is the availability to find a group. Always some one calling out for a tank to an interesting dungeon in LFG.But here you have to be careful.

Some things to look out for:
  • Guys in full arena gear - they havent had a need for aggro managment for a loooong time.
  • Guys without a guild - why would you wanna play with someone who dont like to cooperate?
  • Hunters/warlock without a pet - If you are a “pet” class, why not use it?
  • “I only want rep” - these guys usually wants it to go so fast that any hickup will make em jump ship in the middle.
  • Generally anybody who jumps all the time - only 13 year olds are that impatient

Inga kommentarer: