onsdag 24 oktober 2007

Playing with kids


And I am not referring to the 13 year olds out there. No I am talking about having two small children at home. My oldest are three years and the youngest almost seven months.

This means some troubles. First the ability to show up on time. In my old guild everyone wanted to raid at seven. Which is impossible for me. My oldest goes to bed at about that time and since I am usually the one tucking him in - my wife attends the small one att the same time - I can never be online at that time.

Some people (read older ones with kids) are very good about this. But the younger crowd don't understand at all. Not much to do about. I try to only join raids starting at eight or later. But this is still hard to meet from time to time. Getting a three year old to sleep isn't anything like exact science. Takes from 10 min to one and a half hour.

Then we have the 'waking up screaming' issue. Happens from time to time. Three year olds are just starting to have nightmares. Last time it was: 'Daddy it is a bird in my bed'. Turned out to be one of his cuddly animals. Apparently he imagines pigs lurking in his room also. God am I glad I have been very strict about not having him look while I play if there are a fight... Some vendoring, horse riding and gryphon flying we have done together. But no fighting.

But I don’t think the kids are the biggest obstacle when family interferes with gaming. Nope it is 'aggro from the wife-mob'. =D

But that will be another post...

6 kommentarer:

SolidState sa...

>But that will be another post...

Don't even go there... :)

Hexapuma sa...

hehe
"waking up screaming" is nasty.. It has happened to me several times. Sometimes you don't even have the time to write a proper explanation in the chat...

DaddyGamer sa...

@Gorespike
It even went so far for me with my first kid that I made a macro:

/p Need to go AFK, IRL trouble
/afk

Hexapuma sa...

hehe should have thought about that macro =)

Dammerung sa...

Ooo thats a good idea.

My orclette is only 4 months right now and most of the time if she wakes up fussing Beowulfa(my wife) just gets up and feeds her and they go back to bed.

But I'm sure once she gets to the point where she can wakeup due to "birds in her bed" I'll be having to handle my share of the agro.

/steals macro

Anonym sa...

I have a 7 months old baby and I can definitely understand this. I had to stop right after moroes last night, because Amy refused to get to sleep. (Holidays mixed up her sleep time real bad)

at least the guild I am part of is very comprehensive about it. <3 em'